Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

Blah Blah Blog -

older | 1 | .... | 301 | 302 | (Page 303) | 304 | 305 | .... | 357 | newer

    0 0
  • 01/14/16--17:32: Today went swimmingly
  • I pulled up to the swim center a few minutes after 6am today, walked in worried that I'd be turned away, and wasn't! It was so glorious. Even though it's the designated parent-tot swim time, I didn't see a single tot the whole time. It was pretty great. Two older ladies shared the deep end with me and kept mostly to the other side.

    I swam for a solid 45 minutes for the second day in a row. As I was getting out, the manager happened to be sitting in the lifeguard chair by the ladder, and he said, "You're here early!" I said I didn't realize until yesterday that I was allowed to visit that early, but I refrained from mentioning that it wass he who held up a copy of the schedule and pointed at the afternoon and evening open swims and told me those were the times I could come. Harumph.

    But I'm so happy I know I can go in the morning now. This is especially great because that means I can go in the summer and not worry it'll be teeming with kids. I stayed away all summer in 2015 and will definitely go at least once a week this summer. And my new designated day to swim for sure will be Thursday now, in the morning, and I'll make a run to WinCo like I did today.

    A girl walked into the locker room while I was drying off after my shower. Zoey, the swim center cat! I was hoping she'd hang out for a minute so I could get my phone for a photo, but apparently she didn't like what she saw, because she left rather quickly.

    It occurred to me that I never took any photos at the swim center to post here, but it's mostly because it seems weird to walk all the way across once I'm done and clothed to get the shot I really want, but I figured I'd try to get a couple of shots using the windows. Then I realized it was even creepier to do it through the window. Ha. There's a really lovely collection of glass fish in one of the windows, and I thought I could get a great picture from outside. Didn't realize until it was too late that a tree is in the way.


    Left Shark always watches when I swim.


    The light was very lovely when I left. It made for a very pretty drive over to the store.


    0 0
  • 01/15/16--05:15: SchadenFriday

  • 0 0
  • 01/16/16--07:13: CATURDAY

  • BONUS Saturdogs

    0 0
  • 01/17/16--12:45: A tale of two walks
  • After a couple of pretty vigorous swim sessions, I was in the mood for some time down at Edgewater Beach on Friday morning. The plan was to do a few loops, then maybe walk the beach because it had been a while.

    I was a little surprised to find the beach wasn't even there! I'd never been there during high tide, and it turns out that particular beach disappears completely. This is normally the path to the beach, but when I was there, it was the path to the water.


    A little further down, the rocks that separate the path from the beach became the rocks that lined the water.


    After 1.5 laps, I walked over to the light house. As usual, I got to the ferry entrance right when the cars were loading, but this time I finally realized I could just walk up along the edge of where they line up instead of waiting for them all to load. Of course, they loaded really quickly and I didn't save any time, but it'll be a solid option later on.

    Quaint af

    More oddness with the portapotties. Currently just the ADA one is there, and it's taking up two parking spaces. Weird.


    Today"s awesome walk, 4.38 miles in 1:19, 9,429 steps
    4.38 miles in 1:19, 9,429 steps

    I never got around to writing about this walk on Friday because I had a bit of a scare. Sometime around 4pm, I got a very sudden pain in my right shoulder, and it wasn't too long before my entire chest seized up, and I got a major headache at the same time. Do trust that if anything felt weird with my arm, I would have gone to the emergency room immediately, but it just didn't feel quite like a heart attack to me. After dealing with it for an hour or so, and becoming completely exhausted, I decided to lay down for a nap. I slept for an hour, and felt a lot better when I woke up. Not great, but the incident was over and I was feeling sore in the aftermath.

    I felt just about as sore Saturday morning, so after we took the cats for their annual exam, I had Garrett drop me off at urgent care on the way back home. I was a bit worried when I got there and found a very full waiting room, but it turns out if your concern is chest pains--even ones from the night before--they'll show you right in. A nurse called my name before I was even finished paying!

    We did the EKG, chest x-ray, and blood work, and everything was normal, though a cardiologist's office will be calling me tomorrow or Tuesday for a follow-up appointment. Test results that came in after the fact indicate some elevated liver enzymes, which I should talk to my PCP about in a couple of weeks. The advice on the way out the door was to go to the ER if anything scary happened, and take it easy all day Saturday.


    I had to take my nipple ring out for the chest x-ray. Not sure how long it's been since I'd had no jewelry in my left nipple. Seven years? If it looks bit, it's because it is. 4 gauge. But it's also titanium, so it's not heavy.

    Had to get a chest x-ray (don"t worry!) so my nipple ring is out for the first time in seven years or so.

    I felt great this morning, so I headed out to Langus Riverfront Park and Spencer Island. It was dark and rainy for the most part, so I only grabbed a couple of photos.


    The geese were very loud, I was surprised they didn't take off.

    Today"s awesome walk, 4.52 miles in 1:21, 9,726 steps
    4.52 miles in 1:21, 9,726 steps

    It was oddly busy out there today. I saw a truck parked right at the entrance, which I'm sure belonged to some hunters. A guy passed me on a bike, and I later saw his bike locked up and him on the trails. When I got back, the truck was gone, and two new cars were in its place. Much more than I'm used to seeing, which says a lot about how I usually have the place to myself.

    I have tomorrow off for the first time in eight years or so. Trying to decide what to do with the day.

    0 0
  • 01/18/16--16:57: Take a hike
  • Toward the end of the day yesterday, I decided today's walk should probably me more of a hike. My employer added Martin Luther King Day and Presidents' Day to the holiday schedule this year, and I wanted to take advantage. We've got tons of choices for hiking in the area, but they're not great for weekdays because they're all at least half an hour's drive from here. I found this article listing ten hikes in Snohomish County, and chose Lime Kiln Trail.

    The trail starts off looking a lot like one you might find in a larger park.


    Then the vibe becomes a little more "enchanted forest."


    Then it finally ends up being more of a "terrifying cliffside trails over a huge river" sort of situation.


    I can tell you for sure my hike would have ended here if this little bridge didn't have a hand rail.


    There was a lot of fog and moss, two of my favorite things.


    It's a little crazy to think that trains used to run through here, and when you see the kiln, it's amazing to picture it ever in use. The hills are so steep, I still can't imagine active, working communities in the area.


    I took a lot more pictures today, they're all in this set.

    This sign is right by the kiln. At this point I could have added another mile and a half round trip, and was thinking about it. But as soon as I thought it might be a good idea to head back, some cold rain hit my face and sealed my decision to go to the car.


    On my hike out, I didn't see a single person, and was pretty surprised seeing as how it's a holiday. On the way back in, I must have encountered 40 people. My car was the first in the lot, and there were 16 more when I pulled out. I'll go back again sometime, but it'll be when the weather has been dry for a while and when it's light out early. I want to enter the area right when it opens at 7am and minimize encounters with other hikers. I just like having places to myself, what can I say?

    0 0
  • 01/19/16--14:32: Detour, peetour
  • It'd been a while since I did a loop over at the Port Gardner waterfront, and figured that'd be a nice way to start the week off. I like starting at the park and going clockwise because it's easy to park there, and much easier to cross the busy street next to the park in that direction. One drawback, though, is the lack of facilities there. There's a restroom, but the entire park is currently closed for soil remediation. Even before that, the restroom was locked the morning I tried to use it. There are others on the waterfront, thankfully.

    I got out of the car needing a pit stop, so three miles later when I got to my regular rest stop, it was a big bummer to find out it was closed for maintenance and that I'd have to go another mile or so to get to the next one. So maybe for the time being, I'll start down on the waterfront so I can stop at the restroom before heading out.

    But enough about that.

    I normally like to get a photo of a home and a mosaic in the park when I'm in that neighborhood. It was far too dark to get any photos of houses, but with the flash, I could grab a mosaic photo.

    Grand Avenue Park mosaic

    I read recently that this building will move soon, and that will be the third time. Can't image too many buildings in history have been moved three times or more.


    Today"s awesome walk, 5.83 miles in 1:42, 12,539 steps, 230ft gain
    5.83 miles in 1:42, 12,539 steps, 230ft gain

    That little jaunt to the left where mile 4 occurs only happened because of the restroom kerfuffle. I generally don't go quite that far when I walk here. I wouldn't mind the extra distance, but the circumstances today made it a bit stressful.

    Funnily enough, part of what can make this walk a pain is that, if you want to do a loop, it's five miles. There's no way across the railroad tracks at any point in the middle. But I just learned that there soon will be. I'm into this.

    0 0
  • 01/20/16--14:36: Answer for question 4596.
  • I'd give it all to my husband.

    0 0

    I was to arrive at the cardiologist at 8:15 for my 8:30 appointment this morning, so I decided to swim. The pool opens at 6am when it's still pitch black out, and my longest swims are shorter than my shortest walks, so the pool's a great choice when I have somewhere to be.

    I tread water in place when I'm there, so I prefer to get a corner so I can stay out of everyone's way. There are only two corners in the deep end, and one of them has a ladder, so there's pretty much one spot I prefer. Today, a woman was swimming back and forth between the two corners, so that was out. Her mom was a bit over from her, also going back and forth, so I stayed under a diving board, which was only an option because they were both closed.

    Obviously people can do what they want, but using the deep end to do what basically amounts to lap swimming annoys me a bit. Use the lap lanes! Maybe I was able to channel my rage, though, because I ended up swimming for an hour. That's my record and today was only my second time doing it. I know I could go longer, but an hour seems pretty good.

    The cardiologist visit was pretty frustrating. Every question was covered already during my urgent care visit on Saturday. He listened to my heart, felt my ankles, and said my heart sounded great and my ankles weren't swollen. We're doing a stress test on Friday anyway. He noted my blood pressure, which I'm already on medication for, and that my cholesterol is slightly high. Perhaps, he said, my cholesterol could come down with a change in diet? I told him I just came off six months of drastic diet changes and asked when the test he was reading was from. November, four months into that dietary experiment. He checked the number from a year before that, and it was lower. Hrm.

    As is typical with me, I'm trying to stack up all my health-related stuff. I've been putting off my dental cleaning and new glasses for quite a while, but with the change in insurance at the start of the year, I kicked into gear and got my appointments scheduled. I have to wait a little over a month to get in at my new dentist, but I'm having my eyes checked on Tuesday morning. I'm really looking forward to a new pair of glasses, for sure. These still work fine, but don't fit nearly as well, and get filthy rather quickly. I'm hoping something with a bigger frame might keep my nasty skin grease off the lenses a little better, and be easier to clean.

    Insurance SNAFUs and appointment setting aren't the only thing keeping me on the phone lately. My new-ish office chair won't stay raised, and the reclining mechanism on my side of the loveseat broke. 40 minutes on the phone about the loveseat was pretty frustrating, but worth it because it's a warranty repair. $97 for the new part and free labor versus, oh, ten times as much for a brand new one? I'll take it. I want at least a couple more years out of this one.

    0 0
  • 01/21/16--09:10: Bagel
  • Onion bagel with cream cheese, grilled chicken strips, lemon juice, and mint. People who've known me for a long time will know how much I love a sandwich like this and how long it's been since I've had one.


    0 0
  • 01/21/16--11:47: Another day, another hour
  • Even though I went to the pool yesterday, I decided to proceed with my designated Thursday plan of a swim plus groceries. Second day in a row I did 60 minutes of treading water, and I think as long as I'm there in the morning, that'll be a suitable standard goal. I used to do half an hour or so when I went at noon, and was generally ready to go because I wanted lunch and to be away from the crowds.

    Speaking of which, there was a pretty steady stream of people arriving today the entire time I was there, mostly there to do laps. One woman came with her little boy, the first tot I've seen there for Parent and Tot swim.

    Tomorrow's the stress test, so I think I'll take it easy with some yoga in the morning. The test is at 1pm and I can't eat for two hours before that, so I guess I'll have breakfast early and some fruit around 10:45. I'm sure I'll be ravenous when it's over. I suppose a small lunch will be in order, and I have plenty of leftovers to do that with.

    I'll head out in a while for lunch. Although I went for sushi on Monday, I'm still craving more, in the form of a chirashi bowl. I've never had one and only recently became aware of them, but they sound awesome. Of course, nowhere nearby has one, but I have a few hours to kill before my conference call and I don't mind spending some of that time in the car.

    0 0
  • 01/21/16--15:11: I found a chirashi bowl
  • It was very good. I also had a spicy scallop hand roll. The miso soup came with the bowl.

    Chirashi bowl, spicy scallop hand roll, Oshima Sushi

    0 0
  • 01/22/16--05:21: SchadenFriday

  • 0 0
  • 01/23/16--09:04: CATURDAY

  • RIP Heinz, ~2002-2016

    BONUS Saturdogs

    0 0

    Even though I occasionally search for articles and sites about hikes and walks, my main method for finding new places to walk is to just open Google Maps and look around. It'd been a while since I did that, though. This week, I took a look South of Big Gulch in Mukilteo to try to find the next similar place. That's how I found Meadowdale Beach Park, which I decided to check out today. It's a pretty far drive, so the traffic on a weekday would make it take too long.

    I parked at the top of the park so I could make a big loop and enter the park from the bottom. That way I'd pass through the park as late as possible so there'd be some light. And it'd be a good climb. This picture's a little deceiving, it looks like it's just shady, but it was quite dark.


    I wasn't actually sure if I was even still in Lynnwood, but then I noticed all the signs confirmed that I was.


    Funnily enough, as I set out, I was very concerned about taking a wrong turn and having to double back. The view at these playfields distracted me, and I did just that.


    Since I went the wrong way past the playfields, I ended up having to go back to them, but that ended up being a perfectly-timed bathroom break. That's when I discovered this very immodest setup.


    That's the second worst bathroom in terms of privacy that I've ever seen on my walks. The first is the small men's room on the East side of Green Lake. There's no door to the men's room, the wall next to the toilet is about as big as the toilet. If you had to sit on that toilet, people passing by outside could see your bare knees, which means you'd flash them as you stood up. Oy.

    I was a bit worried as I left that park because I couldn't see a sidewalk, but there was something even better for the next couple of blocks: a trail up above the road!


    Shortly after that, I saw the coolest house I've seen in a while.


    That neighborhood has amazing views of the water. I love walking down steep hills toward the water; when you look down the hill, the water seems to take up half the sky.


    I noticed a small park on the map near the entrance to the large park, so I went a bit out of my way to check it out. There's a "blink and you'll miss it" path down to it. There's no beach access due to the railroad tracks, but it's nice and has awesome views.


    Just like with Big Gulch, my choice to park at the top was correct. There's no parking at the bottom, and the neighborhood down there doesn't want people trying, or even turning around. You can walk in, or if you're in a wheelchair, you can use the access road that the park ranger uses.


    I saw a sign I didn't really understand on my way in: tunnel closed, please bring rubber boots if you plan to go to the beach. Well, I got it when I saw the tunnel.


    So, there's a beach down there, but you really need hip waders if you want to check it out. Fisherman's paradise. Without the beach access, I'm curious how popular the park really is. There's a nice picnic shelter with barbecues and a sand volleyball court by the ranger's station, but it's a mile down a steep trail from the parking area.


    So after 5.5 miles, I finally got to the park trail to head back up. It was lovely! Wide, well-kept, and a lot of it was paved.


    The climb up is pretty brutal, though. At least, it's brutal after already having been walking so long. You'll see on the map's elevation section.


    Today"s awesome walk, 6.37 miles in 2:10, 13,698 steps, 705ft gain
    6.37 miles in 2:10, 13,698 steps, 705ft gain

    I set out this morning thinking I'd go about 4.5 miles or so. I didn't really mind how much longer it was. Sundays are perfect for that.

    0 0

    Nothing was particularly remarkable about today's walk. During it, I felt like I was going really fast, but I checked when I got home, and my time was quite close to the last time I was there.

    Today"s awesome walk, 4.96 miles in 1:26, 10,663 steps, 597ft gain
    4.96 miles in 1:26, 10,663 steps, 597ft gain

    I'm pretty proud to consider this a "routine" walk. It's a good distance, has a nice big climb, and I don't even need to drive anywhere to do it. Today was the first day I was a little worried about an encounter with other people. Some guys were up ahead on the side of the road, one with a bike and one on foot, and they stopped walking as I approached. I really wasn't in the mood for any sort of encounter and just walked past. One of them was talking but I didn't stop to check if what he was saying was directed toward me. They didn't follow or anything.

    I've always hated street encounters but I worry especially about ones with two guys. Anyway.

    I didn't use it, but I noticed that one park path has finally been cleared after all these weeks.


    It may not work out tomorrow, but I think I'll be going to the pool on Tuesdays and Thursdays now, and staying in the water for an hour each time. That's four times as much pool time as I used to generally do, so I finally ordered myself an iPod shuffle to swim with. It comes with waterproof earbuds with short cords, and I've ordered some goggles to clip them to. I've been wanting some goggles anyway. And since I don't use a swim cap, there's really nowhere else to clip an iPod.

    It'll be nice to have something to listen to in the pool. The worst is when I get a song stuck in my head. Oftentimes it'll be the last one I hear in the car on the way to the pool. They play a lot of stupid songs on the radio, so it could really be anything.

    I was so happy with my new destination yesterday that I decided to get back on the map and see what I could find next. This Sunday, I'll probably check out these two parks.

    Well, the two large ones. Hell, I might pass through the small ones so I can say I saw four in a day. We'll see.

    0 0
  • 01/26/16--17:00: Easy money
  • I signed up a while ago with a firm that does research studies, focus groups, and the like. My afternoons are usually free, so I figured I may as well see if I could occasionally make some extra money. They don't just call people in randomly, though; it's always a long questionnaire that'll either get you in or disqualify you. After talking to them a few different times, I finally qualified for one. The appointment was yesterday afternoon. Traffic was great both ways and I was gone for 2.5 hours total. They even validate for parking so the only expense for me was gas. I was in their office less than an hour and walked out with a $75 prepaid debit card. Not bad!

    The view from their lobby was very nice.


    I can't talk about what I did there, naturally. Hopefully they'll have me back again for this study. I could be called back for two more sessions at the same rate, and if they use me three times, I'll be paid an additional $75 for a total of $300. And of course, as quickly as that money came into my life, it's already gone. I had an eye exam this morning and my copay was $20. From there, I went to the pool. It was time to buy a new punch card, which is ten swims for the price of nine: $38.50. After my swim I spent the remainder, and a little more of my own money, on groceries on the way back home. Poof!

    My whole morning was shifted quite a bit by the eye exam, so I was only in the pool 40 minutes. There were only a few of us in the pool for the first half of my time there. Then I saw the manager take out the divider between two of the lanes in the shallow end, and a bunch of women showed up for their water aerobics class. They were cute.

    On my way into the pool, the cashier and one of the lifeguards said they liked my shirt and love seeing the various ones I wear. I told them I have a ton and will try to rotate as many different ones in as I can. That's always a challenge for me as I definitely get into ruts with favorites, and also will end up wearing a shirt for several days since I'll only wear one, say, long enough to go to the store or out to lunch. It'd be dumb to toss it in the laundry after that. Generally I wear a pair of shorts all week, a shirt a few times, new socks for sure after a trip to the pool, and new underwear most of the time. If I wear any at all. ;)

    But seriously, if I'm just running to the store? I might wear just shorts and a hoodie with nothing under either one.

    Unrelated, but since we're here, here's last night's awesome dinner.

    Pressure cooker Mongolian beef, cucumber salad, broccoli with a bit of Ponzu

    Mongolian beef I made in the pressure cooker over rice, cucumber salad, and a little bit of broccoli with Ponzu. I'm so in love with the pressure cooker. The meat I bought was extremely cheap, but browning it in the bottom of the cooker for a bit, then adding the sauce and cooking under pressure for 12 minutes made it perfect. I've also made an excellent chili in there, as well as the moistest meatloaf I've ever had.

    I mentioned that Garrett bought me a Roomba for Christmas and now that we've had it for a while, I can report that it works very, very well. If you ran it once you probably wouldn't be impressed with the job it does versus the job you do sweeping and vacuuming, but you shouldn't compare the two processes. The Roomba should be run daily and, after a couple of passes, maintains that level of clean. If you're in charge of keeping the floors clean, you'll probably wait a week, maybe two, or even more before you clean up. I personally always waited until the floor got dirty enough to annoy me or if people were coming over. It's really nice to just have floors that are always clean for a change.

    I thought to mention it today because I found Sam and Steve avoiding Rhonda the Roomba this morning.

    This is how they avoid the Roomba.

    We pull a chair out so Rhonda has an easier time getting in and out of that difficult area under the table.

    Finally, here's a cute shot of Sam on high alert.


    0 0
  • 01/27/16--16:32: Halfway there
  • Quite a few balls in the air at the moment. My eye exam was yesterday, so I decided to find some new glasses today. There was no shortage of options of providers, so I picked one who happened to be in the direction I felt like driving to lunch afterward. There's nothing particularly wrong with my current glasses, I'm just sick of them. I have oily skin and long eyelashes, so my glasses get dirty very quickly. It's really hard to get this particular pair clean because the nose pads get in the way, so I wanted a new pair with plastic frames and no pads at all. The frames came in a little under the amount my plan will pay for, but of course I still had a sizable bill because I wanted to new-fangled anti-glare coating specifically designed for computer users. That's actually the reason I have to wait ten business days for my glasses, but with the amount of time I spend at the computer, it's a good idea.

    I also came home and ordered my first-ever pair of prescription sunglasses. I've always had a hard time finding sunglasses I like, so I just ordered a basic wayfarer shape and crossed my fingers.

    Speaking of eyewear, my goggles arrived today! Can't wait until the iPod I plan to clip onto them comes. Too bad that won't be before my swim tomorrow.


    The day started with a walk from the Boeing recreation center to the wetlands and back. Here's the obligatory "It was really dark when I parked the car" photo.


    I wanted to walk the paths at the wetlands, but they don't open until 8am. I'll be honest, if it were summer and already very bright out, I'd just walk in. The hours should really be dawn until dusk, and it's weird to choose 8am as a time since it makes sense in winter but not in summer. No big loss as it's not the most interesting place, but it cut down on the distance a bit. I fixed that by enjoying the top of Japanese Gulch for a bit. Of course, I almost immediately had to turn back because of mud on the trail that has the big dropoff and the good view. It's apparently been a problem for a while as a second trail is being slowly stomped and ridden out by other walkers and bikers, but even that one is muddy. But of course, the luxurious part that Boeing maintains around their rec center was in great shape.


    I hadn't been there since before the storms. There were tons of fallen trees which, unlike in other places, were cut away from the trails. Probably within a couple of days.


    Today"s awesome walk, 4.47 miles in 1:28, 9,608 steps, 410ft gain
    4.47 miles in 1:28, 9,608 steps, 410ft gain

    The climbs in that walk are pretty brutal even though the total ascent isn't as much as a lot of other routes I do. I was actually surprised to find out it's only 410 feet total.

    Today's only the second time I've seen raccoons in our yard, and the first time I saw them in daylight. They passed by where I could see them from where I sit several times! I put some popcorn out hoping one would hang out by the French doors for a minute or two, no luck yet. I managed to get a picture of one climbing our big tree in back. So cute.

    Cutie pie! #raccoon #raccoonsofinstagram

    On my way home after the lunch, I saw a mail truck turn and go up the street next to ours. I'm starting to wonder if it's even our same truck, because I waited in my room quite a while before changing clothes and taking my shoes off, hoping to see the mail arrive so I could go get it. Sam wanted some attention and jumped all the way up to my window sill. Pretty impressive for a 15-year-old!

    Haven"t seen Sam jump this high in a while. Not bad for a 15-year-old.

    I finally gave up and got into my indoor clothes. Within three seconds of sitting down, the mailman rang the doorbell. Of course.

    There's a new ramen and sushi joint downtown and I decided to check it out for lunch today.

    Ready for deliciousness.

    I ordered tuna poke, which wasn't nearly as good as a lot of them that I've had, but that's a high bar. It was pretty good. I also had some pork ramen with roasted garlic. Ramen's ok, but I'll always like pho about 100 times as much.

    0 0
  • 01/28/16--08:48: Answer for question 4602.
  • I've been through a lot of really bad times but I definitely believe that, even if paradoxes weren't an issue when you changed something in the past, the differences in life would be drastic enough that it would be very foolish to try to change anything. I really like how my life eventually turned out and I wouldn't risk any of that changing, even if there were huge, awful struggles along the way.

    So I guess I'd just go back a few weeks and give myself the winning numbers for the billion dollar Powerball drawing.

    0 0
  • 01/28/16--13:44: Isn't that always the way?
  • Got to the pool this morning and noticed a sign at the front desk. The swim center will be closed from 2/29-4/10. I'll miss the first part of that because we're going on vacation from 2/26-3/6. They've got a deal with the YMCA to provide a swim pass for that period for $60. There's also the Snohomish Aquatic Center but I'll need to pop over there to check it out. Their recreation side is all pretty shallow and the competition side has lap lanes all the way across, so I need to see how big the diving tank is. They've got a river walk, so if I go over and don't really see a place to tread water, I could try that out.

    Either option will be more expensive. Right now an adult entry to my pool is $4.25, but I buy ten for the price of nine, $38.25. To pay that amount per swim with that pass at the Y, I'd have to go 16 times in that period, which would be three each week plus an extra somewhere. I do enjoy swimming very much, but I doubt I'd force the same value out of that pass as I do with my current one.

    An adult drop-in session at the Snohomish Aquatic Center is $5.50, and their discounted price for ten is $52.50. But their pool looks a lot nicer than YMCA's, as long as there's a good spot for me to do what I do.

    Today's swim was good. The woman who's been taking my corner by swimming back and forth between there and the ladder decided to swim on the other side of the deep end because her mom was going back and forth on the edge where it meets the shallow end. I doubt she'll be doing it often, though; she stopped and told me it's much harder there for some reason. Specifically, she said it felt like fighting for her life. I don't really know if it's easier to swim next to a wall for some reason, but I could picture that being the case.

    I've still got a few weeks before all that matters anyway, but being me, I want to check out my options soon. If it's raining tomorrow morning anything like it was today, I'm definitely going to swim instead of walk, and may as well check out the Snohomish pool. This morning's rain would be terrible to walk in. I had to walk through little rivers six feed wide in the grocery store parking lot. If our street had gutters and sidewalks, I'm quite sure the garbage and recycling containers would have ended up in a pile down the street.

    0 0
  • 01/29/16--06:00: SchadenFriday

older | 1 | .... | 301 | 302 | (Page 303) | 304 | 305 | .... | 357 | newer